Monday, June 5, 2017

Landon's Baptism

What is it about kids growing up and milestones that causes you to reflect on the journey?
How do I explain how I feel when I look at my oldest boy who just turned 8 and I wonder how did we get here so fast?
I only get 10 more years with him before he serves a mission?!?


There are days where it hits me unexpectedly, 
they just wake up looking somehow older.
But the milestones are when it REALLY hits you.
Baptism is a special milestone because even though your precious child is getting older and closer to leaving your home, they are growing closer to God, and that is comforting because, I know that their relationship with God will bring them lasting happiness and joy in their lives.

Although my heart aches, it also soars with pride seeing my kids growing up, but also making wise choices and growing into the wonderful little humans I have always hoped they would be.
I know Heavenly Father has a plan for Landon, just as he does for each of us and I can't wait to see what he will become.
I feel extremely grateful to be his Mother.  
Landon is so many things.  
He is wise beyond his years, courageous, hard working, loyal, kind, thrifty, fun, diligent, smart, a leader, sensitive, and most of all, he has a strong testimony of Jesus Christ.  
Dave and I are proud of him for making the decision to be baptized.
He is ready.




I have a similar picture of him at age 3 touching the Nauvoo temple doors 
Look how cute and chubby he was.

When we visited my parents in Brazil, we took Landon on a special outing in preparation for his baptism.  
We plan on doing this with all the kids before they get baptized.
We walked around the temple grounds and took LOTS of pictures and then answered any questions he had about getting baptized and also shared our testimonies with him.
We told him that we couldn't wait to come back to the temple when he turns 12 and to go inside, and that baptism is a preparation for entering the temple.
We also told him how much we love him and the many reasons why.
One of the things that impresses me about Landon is that at the age of 5, he set a goal to finish the Book of Mormon before he was baptized.
When he first started he could only read a few words per verse and I would help him with the rest, but by the time he was in 1st grade, he began to do it on his own.
He has gotten up each morning before anyone in the house on his own and read from the book of Mormon, prayed and gotten ready.  Then he comes and wakes ME up:)
Because of his hard work, he has accomplished his goal.
Also, he always tells the truth even if he knows he will have some negative consequences.
As I shared these and many other things I admire about him, my love for him came spilling out of my eyes, and I was quite teary:)
He is a wonderful kid, and I love him so much!





We took a few pictures with him and my parents too.
I am so glad they were there.
It made the experience even more special!
This temple is breathtaking, as are all the temples around the world.









I am so glad my Mom snapped this picture of us talking with Landon on the temple grounds.
It brings back all the feelings I had that day.

We also prepared Landon by having special family nights on Heavenly Father's plan, faith in Jesus Christ, baptism, the Holy Ghost, and after he is baptized we will have one on repentance and one on the sacrament.
We had the missionaries come and teach the lesson on baptism to make it even more special.
There is nothing like have the missionaries in your home.
They bring such a sweet spirit of love, and it was neat to have them teach Landon and the rest of us.
Landon loved every minute of it!
I know he understands the special promises he is making with God to follow His Son.  



Landon's Grandma McGarry purchased a beautiful set of scriptures with his name engraved on them that I know Landon will cherish and take on his mission.  
He was really excited about them.
She often gets the kids cute and unique books for special occasions and birthdays.
This was definitely the best book she could have ever given him:)
He also received journals, handsome ties, and even water from the river Jordan(by Aunt Brittany in her wonderful talk) where Jesus was baptized, and many other cherished gifts from loved ones.


I gave him a little two way journal that I titled "Did I tell you?"
I got the idea from a General Conference talk given many years ago and from pinterest.
 I hope it will be a special form of communication beyond the everyday, and a keep sake.  
My wish is that Landon will feel free to record funny or serious things, and I will make it a high priority to write back promptly.  
Also, I want to occasionally write 
"did I tell you" entries 
where I record counsel that I want him to remember and to stick with him in a tangible way throughout his life.  He can comment or ask questions about that guidance.
I wrapped this little journal up and put it on his bed.




The morning of the baptism I asked Landon how he felt and he said he was excited and couldn't believe the day was finally here.
He went on and on about how he thought it would never come:)
Landon's baptism day was a beautiful and there was a sweet spirit there with talks and prayers given by beloved friends and family.
A special musical number by my sister and I, and our daughters.
I made Landon's favorite dessert, German chocolate torte to feed people after the baptism, and worked with Dave to help Landon plan his baptism, and ask who he wanted to give talks, prayers, be the witnesses, inviting friends teachers and neighbors, and many other little things. Easton handed out the programs, and Paxton...Well, he kept us on our toes:) 
We wanted to give each family member who was old enough a job.
It is inspiring to see them love and serve each other.

















Even though it's a very busy day with lots going on, I felt completely peaceful and happy.
Landon had all the wonderful feelings that come from choosing to follow God's plan of happiness!
We are grateful for the many friends and family that traveled to be with us and make Landon's special day so wonderful!

My heart was filled to overflowing with love and gratitude for God and this little family of mine, especially Landon!
Today was one of the good ones!





















No comments:

Post a Comment