Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Christmas/New Years 2018


Franklin came back and helped us #lighttheworld each day with a service/kindness challenge

Treats for the neighbors:
I read a chapter book to my big kids almost every night before I tuck them into bed.
We read "Wonder" just in time for the movie to come out, so I took them on a date to see it.  
Light the world: forgive your enemies.  We read this darling book and prayed for or did something nice for someone who is hard to get along with.

A family in our congregation works for the Cleveland monsters/Cavs and invited us to watch a Monsters game in box seats!

It was the most fun thing we did all winter!
I am Canadian, and it has been years since I have seen a hockey game.
I miss it so much, and this is just what I needed
The kids were in heaven too.
They couldn't believe all the food and the great seats!

Definitely a tender mercy and a fun time!
Ready for church:

Painting nails with Oaklie
Paxton wanted his nails done too:)
Franklin painted this picture and then gave the kids mini canvases to paint an "elf-sized" one.

Light the world making gifts for my Mom and Dad in Brazil.  A necklace for my Mom and a tie for my Dad.
Grandpa is so lucky!

Christmas thug:)

A family in our church hosts an annual Christmas party with a white elephant gift exchange.  We brought "loafers"
See what I did there?;)
We also gave this gift card mini tree which came with a note that said: "Only ONE of these cards has money on it.  May the odds ever be in your favor."
We had a great time!




Light the world clothing donations

Our car broke down right before Christmas and it was the worst!  It was on the way to Easton's holiday party, so I missed it, and we had fun things planned after school that we weren't able to do.  

Grandma McGarry had sent us some money to do get something yummy in December so we decided to walk to a place to eat dinner on the day our car broke down.  It was a much-needed outing on an otherwise crummy day.
You can check out toys from our library, and it's fun to have something new to play with.
Oaklyn insists on bringing them back all on her own.
She is getting so mature and independant.


We are in the Kirtland stake.
It is neat to live near the church sites and get to go to Christmas firesides at the Kirtland temple.
This was such a beautiful, peaceful Winter night with the temple all lit up.  
Sometimes when I tuck my kids into bed, I like to take their little fingers and write the first letter of ten of their talents on them to remind them of some of the things I love about them.  One night when I did this, Landon took my hand and wrote some of my talents on my fingers.
It really surprised me and touched my heart, and I never want to forget that sweet moment.


The hospital Dave works for has a step tracker money incentive program that Dave and I decided to participate in.  I thought I'd have to work to get the appropriate number of steps but it was super validating to see that by mid-afternoon, I had walked over 16000 steps just doing what I usually do as a Mom.
Being a Mom is busy, and a lot of hard work, but the most rewarding and wonderful job I'll ever have.
Did I mention that it is a lot of hard work?
Exhibit A:
The mini-van express! It’s one of our favorite Christmas traditions. The kids head to their rooms thinking they are going to bed, and find a golden ticket on their pillows instead. They know that means they get to hop in the van(aka minivan express) and stay up late listening to Christmas music, drinking hot chocolate and driving around looking at Christmas lights. It can happen anytime in December. Every year it gets a bit harder to surprise them, but we pulled it off. I love traditions and these sweet kids!










A car crashed into Landon and Easton's bus one afternoon right in front of our house while the boys were still on the bus.  No one was hurt and we were extremely grateful!

We hours spent one winter afternoon making Star Wars snowflakes
It was time well spent.  The kids loved hanging them on our windows.


This winter we instituted "toy jail" for toys and items that were left out and not put away.  It was a life saver.  All I had to say was, "Wow this place is a mess, I think I hear the toy police coming."  and the kids moved quickly to pick up their treasured items.  They didn't want to have to do a chore for each item they wanted to bail out of toy jail.

Lego store








Christmas Eve dinner
They kids set and decorated the table.

Scones





Nativity



This year we tucked the kids into their rooms with a magical little bell on their door so Santa would know if they stayed in their beds and come to our house faster if they stayed in their rooms.  
This is the quickest they have ever gone to bed on Christmas Eve.

Christmas morning magic:
Aunt Anne gives such thoughtful, fun gifts!



Aunt Anne gave the kids tropical fish themed presents and snacks to go with "Moana"
It was a fun idea for a family movie night.

The first FHE of the year was very “fruitful"
We had our family New Year's party. We ate yummy Brazilian food cooked by Dave, and unwrapped our family scripture theme for the year which is Galatians 5:22-23, and talks about the “fruits” of the spirit. We discussed why we chose it with the kids, and we will be focusing on one fruit of the spirit a month in family home evening all year.
 Mostly, I learned that I would NOT be a good clown. Making balloon fruits left my fingers beaten to a “pulp”.





When Dave and I were discussing what theme to introduce this year, we felt strongly that we need to focus on following the spirit.  We want our children to learn to recognize what that feels like for them and learn to act on the thoughts and impressions that come.  




Winter break read-a-thon
Forts, turtle cookies, and books!

We finally got around to putting up Oaklyn's curtains and decorations over winter break.
She loved it!
She made a cozy little spot for her favorite stuffies to be tucked in
Oaklyn is in the cutest stage
She draws me pictures, and writes me sweet little notes almost every day
I am saving each one
Skating with friends

Cutest little eskimo!

Snow ice cream































































No comments:

Post a Comment